Monday, June 11, 2007

Summary(2)

3:Make What You Wirte Sound Personal
While writing a business letter, shouldn't forget that it would be sent to a live human being that,like others,hopes to be treated as though he is important in the business. A letter "To Whom It May Concern" is not recommended because it lacks personal touch that will be helpful in directing the letter to the reader's personal interest.Various kinds of approaches can be used to make you letter sound personal to the reader.
*Insert the reader's name
A letter without names salutation maybe made the reader think that they are anonymous. So we should address people by their names or use their names in the body of the letter as if we are talking with them in a telephone call.
*Use both "I" and "You"
The pronouns "I" and "you",along with "you,me and my" play the same role in personalizing your letters.However,care must be took when you use them.
Please notice that the "you" approach is a bit condescending (lucky you;our great company have approved you for credit).
For example
"You will be pleased to learn that your application for credit has been approved"
"I am pleased to tell you that your application for credit has been approved."
*Mass Approach
A simple piece of advice to choose between "I" and "We" together with "US" and "OUR" should be :
Use "I","me' and "my" when you are writing to someone on behalf of yourself.Use "we" and "our" when you are writing on behalf of your firm.Avoid using "our company".

4.Send What the Reader Thinks a Courteous Letter
A courteous letter does not mean a letter written only with polite phrase. which in fact,merely form part of the word"Courteous" in business letters.Actually, a courteous letter should be one:
*written to answer the correspondent's letter on the day it is received.
*directed straight to the department or the people concerned
*with the reader's name spelled correctly
*stating only the facts when correspondent is complaining or angry
Note that being over-courteous will ruin your letter by giving the reader an insincere impression of you.

For example

Dear Mr.Fogovin,

You're entirely right. In our January 6th statement,we neglected to deduct the extra trade discount of 10 percent to which you are entitled.

As sometimes happens,the folks who prepare the invoice don't always get the message. And this time for good reason: I simply didn't get the word to them about the additional discount,so I'm the culprit.

Please deduct $462 from the statement you received.Thus the net amount due wil be $4158 instead of $4620.

I want you to know that I'm very sorry about this oversigh and I'm grateful to you for pointing it out to us.We appreciate your business.

Cordially Yours

No comments: