Friday, June 22, 2007

Letters of Application

Letters of application usually relate with looking for a job.Choosing a school to study and applying for a grant,etc. Aperson's degree,working experiences,personal data and his references are some factors that are included in the application letters.Clear and short application letters are welcome; a resume is often enclosed in the application letter. The letter of application has three sections:introductory part,body,concluding part.

Format of Application Letters
*Introductory Part
It explains the purpose of the letter and tells how one of finds out the information ( if in a periodical,newspaper,internet,give name and date;if from a person,give name) The reasons why one applies for the position or the grant are clearly showed in this beginning part
*Body
It normally provides some background information of a person,stresses one's real capablity and working achievement,complements and enforces the contents in his resume. If one's application letter does so confidently and modestly,it convinces the potential employers that he is the desired person they are looking for.
*Concluding Part
It expresses one's wishes,requests for some detailed information from the company or school that one applies for an interview and ask how and when one may be reached.

Forms of Application Letters

1.Application for a Position
Sample:


338E,44th St.
New York,NY,1007
USA
May 5,2002

Professor Li Bing
Department of English
Beijing Foreign Studies University
Beijing,100081
PRC


Dear Professor Li,

I am intersted in teaching English in the People's Republic of China. I am qualified to teach reading,writing and literature.An acquaintance of mine,Mr.Zhang Wei of your University suggested that I should write to you.

Presently, I work as a teaching assistant in a college in Los Angeles,California. My background is strong in the liberal arts,especially in the English language. I have got My Ph.D degree in linguistics from Universiy of Michigan.

Enclosed you will find a copy of my resume.Basically,I am interested in a position as a Foreign Language Expert or as a teacher.

If you have any position available,please allow me to interview with you.
Thanks for your time and consideration.

Respectfully yours
Martin Lews
Encl.

2.Application for Further Study


Department of Computer Science
Tsinghua University
Beijing,100084
PRC

Professor S.M.Smith
Computer Engineering Department
Massaachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge,Mass,02139
Feb. 28,2002


Dear Professor Smith,

I am writing to you about the possibility of further studies in the field od Computer Engineering leading to the PH.D degree at you institute.Would you please sent me the neccessary information and forms?

I am 25,mal,majoring in computer science. I received my B.E (Computer Science) in June 1998 and M.E, (Computer Science) in March 2001 form Tsinghua University in Beijing. I kept on ranking in the upper 5% of my undergraduate class and graduate class. I do believe that the doctorate-oriented study at your institute is of great help for my further study in the area of Computer Science.

I have taken the TOEFL Test (Score 637) and GRE General Test (score 2170).I am going to take the GRE Subject Test on Computer Science this summer.

Thanks you very much,I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely yours,

Sensen Li
enc.resume

Writing Points,
Some important writing techiques for greatest effectiveness:
1.Indicate your purposes or reasons clearly
2.Give accurate and objective personal information
3.Use polite words,and expose yourself confidently and optimistically.

No comments: